Friday, January 12, 2007

Can I be honest for a moment?

I hate the idea of dating.

There, I said it. I hate the idea of dating.

Now, there are plenty of women my age who I'd like to have a relationship with. It's just the whole developing the relationship part that sucks. These days it seems like dating is a competition, that I'd have to constantly be coming up with new fun stuff to do for a least the first few months so I could keep her attnetion.

But the problem is, I'm boring. I don't just go out and do new things, I'm not creative enough to come up with fun date ideas. I can always ask friends for advice, but that only carries you so far.

Now, I know not all women need to be constantly impresed, and that it possible to find someone who's just interested in doing something that lets us spend time together, but in my overactive mind, things never play out that way. Now, I'm not so full of self pity that I think no chicks would ever want to go out with me, but I can't help but forsee disappointment, simply because I can't keep her interested.

I know I shouldn't be such a pessimist, but I just needed to get some of this BS off my chest. Prehaps as a build up to actually asking someone out in the near future? Prehaps, prehaps not.


(Dating was so much easier in high school, simply because it was more limited. For me, dates consisted of simple stuff like movies (in the theater or at someone's house) or bowling (followed by parking the car somewhere and making out for 30 or 45 minutes).)

1 comment:

NewDotMom said...

Ooooo-wooooooh, you made OUT, ooooooooh-woooooooh!

I always knew it.

For the record, the word is "perhaps." Not "prehaps."

Now, on to the actual post. Dude - there are lots of women who are not just out to "be impressed." I won't lie to you, a few well-timed romantic gestures and/or thoughtful or inventive dates are great. But overall, getting to know someone does not happen mainly over unidentifiable French food, ya know? I am sure it will happen for you - the developing of a relationship without the insanity of high-stress dating.